Fish Tacos... Ambrosia of the Sea


Here's me applying some lime to my little bundle of yummy, Ala Rubio's.


 Mexican food is delicious. That's a no brainer. Fake Mexican food is also delicious. Hence Qdoba, Chipotle, Taco del Mar and Chevy's. Fake Mexican food at home... it doesn't always come out right.
Luckily fish tacos came out so, so right.

I started out with some awesome cod fillets that I purchased from, you guessed it, Whole Foods. I dredged them in flour seasoned with Goya Hot Adobo and fried them in a little vegetable oil. No wet dipping, no batter, no deep frying.





As the pieces turned golden brown and crispy I put them on a wire rack in the oven over a drip tray to complete the cooking process and added fresh pieces to the hot oil. A little fish cooking assembly line.




As far as tortillas go I love love love these little corn flour ones from La Tortilla Factory. They're not brittle, don't need steaming to stay soft and they're a little thicker and more toothsome than a plain flour tortilla. We had both the yellow and white corn flour varieties.



To make the tradish taco sides (rice and beans) I am a super cheater. I use one can of Embasa Salsa Mexicana and a half cup of water for every cup of Minute Rice plus a teaspoon or two of McCormick Hot Taco Seasoning to taste.


Samesies with the beans; a can of salsa + taco seasoning and/or Taco Bell hot sauce to a can of drained black beans.

It has to simmer down a bit and it turns out pretty tasty, especially for at home fake Mexican food. By far not the best beans I've ever had, but I can't seem to find those in the states.

For fixin's we went with a mix of shredded cabbage and lettuce, some homemade salsa Rojas and salsa Verde (which will be another post), a little Tillamook cheddar jack blend and some sour cream. Oh, yes, and the oh-so-important squeeze of lime!



Yummeroo! All you need is an icy pomegranate margarita and some fried cheesecake burrito dessert and you have yourself a fake Mexican fiesta! Oh-lay!


1 comment:

  1. wait.... hold on, did you say...fried cheesecake burrito dessert? whaaaaaat? I am going to need you to make that.

    ReplyDelete