Bad PR

I am of the opinion that most veggies get a bad wrap.  Broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, etc., they are all widely neglected and loathed without cause.  I've found that most people who claim not to like vegetables, either particularly or generally, have typically never had them prepared right.

For example, one of my most un-fond food memories of childhood were related to canned vegetables.  Asparagus, to be specific.  I can recall an evening when I was seven years old, sitting alone in the kitchen, just me and a plate of mushy, grey, bitter asparagus spears.  My resolve against consumption of such an abomination was, even then, steely and begrudging.  Overcooked, frozen and unfortunate pickling endeavors can be just as bad or worse than canned when it comes to veg.

One of the most commonly misunderstood veggies is Brussels sprouts.  I admit, even I was reluctant to invite them into my repertoire for a very long time, as a result of another childhood dinner table hostage negotiation.  But just like asparagus they are now one of my favorite veggie treats!  And very versatile.

So if you're just getting started, maybe a New Year's resolution to eat more leafy greens, here's something to get your feet wet with.  A very simple roasted Brussels sprouts recipe.

When buying Brussels sprouts you want bright green (not yellow), tightly packed sprouts on the smaller side.  If you can get them on the stalk that's even better, although much more labor intensive.  Avoid spotty and large sprouts.

When cleaning them, trim the ends of any brownish area and remove loose and yellow outer leaves.


1 1/2 lb of fresh Brussels sprouts, cleaned trimmed and halved.
3-4 Tbsp olive oil
A healthy pinch of Kosher salt
Pepper to taste

Mix your prepped sprouts with the oil, salt and vinegar, making sure each sprout is coated.  Roast them at 400 for 35 to 40 minutes, shaking the pan every so often to prevent sticking and encourage coloring, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.


I like them a little on the softer side and I add a little more salt before serving.  A great side dish to your Christmas Prime Rib...  I know it will be for mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment