Quickie on Holiday Baking

With the holidays I found little time to take pictures and even less time to post.  So here are a few links and pics of my holiday baking!

I wanted to try new things, so my first effort was a spin on sugar cookies; a vanilla bean and saffron drop cookie.


I used just a pinch of saffron and the insides of two whole vanilla beans in addition to the recipe found here.

The dough was a lovely yellow color, with flecks of aromatic vanilla bean.  It was a lot more coarse than I expected, but that seemed to be the theme of this year's Christmas cookies.  Possibly because my kitchen is so cold.


I rolled the balls pretty small, and they didn't spread much, surprisingly.  But the results were very tasty and a big hit at work.


I also took my first crack at biscotti with a recipe I adapted from one I got from a Real Simple daily email.


Instead of just cherries I used a dried fruit blend of cherries, blueberries and pomegranate.


Also, after they were nice and cool I dipped them in white chocolate and drizzled with semi-sweet.  Needless to say, after that they didn't last long enough to get a picture of.

I also made flour-less peanut butter cookies that were just delectable!


These also didn't spread much, however, they were extremely delicate when they came out of the oven.  Luckily, them were so delicious I didn't mind eating the broken pieces.


I also tried out:


  • This shortbread recipe to make Kalikimakas; a shortbread thumbprint filled with strawberry-guava jam.  
  • This recipe that we called Doodlebugs because they're tiny cookies that taste like Snickerdoodles
  • And of course, our family's tradition, what we call Butterballs.  Because it's just not Christmas without them.  And always the BHG recipe!

So, I'm dying to know, what did YOU make?!

No comments:

Post a Comment