Easier Than It Looks

Last weekend I was feeling ambitious and craving brunch.  Having no desire to leave the house on a cozy Sunday morning I decided to make my own English muffins.

I typically tend to shy away from making bread because it's so involved.  I used to make homemade pita bread every weekend and, although it was cheap and delicious, it takes more time and energy than I usually have on a wintery weekend.  So, knowing my curiosity in creating a bread product to be a fluke, I took advantage of my fleeting ambition and my old bread maker I found for two dollars at a garage sale.


It's not great for baking, but it certainly takes the elbow grease out of mixing!  I'm sure if you look at your local Goodwill, St. VdeP or other thrift store you're bound to find something affordable, if you have the counter space (or cupboard space to hide it's hideousness) for when it isn't in use.

I researched a few recipes online and settled on the one from King Arthur Flour.  It felt low impact, had instructions for a machine mixed dough and I had all the ingredients on hand.  Also, I love King Arthur Flour.

I'm not the biggest fan of English muffins, I only really like them when I get the craving, or with Eggs Benedict (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!)  So I didn't know much about how they are made.  For example, did you know they aren't baked?  They're cooked on a cornmeal covered griddle.  I didn't know that before last weekend.


Making English muffins is like a combo of biscuits and pancakes; you have to roll them and cut them without a lot of muss and you have to flip them at just the right time to get them nicely colored on both sides with just the right amount of bubbling within to help them rise.


The recipe was very simple to follow (I credit the ol' Toastmaster) and cooking was a snap.  Ultimately they were much cheaper and FAR MORE DELICIOUS than store bought and they had nice, soft nooks and crannies, perfect for toasting.


So... about those Eggs Benedict...

No comments:

Post a Comment